vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to get this information?

Talking

you could do the searches in Gsak and set one up for each lighthouse and save it. Not sure if you can output the results in sections though. Where is the Stats People when you need them

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Maybe I misunderstood the question - I was thinking of doing it with a pocket query from GC.com. GSAK is OK, but only if all the areas covered by the coordinates you want to enter are included in the database.

Nah, you didn't misunderstand my question! I didn't think to ask about GSAK since I assumed my solution would be a pocket query. I didn't think to ask about running my queries on my GSAK database. My GSAK database has 3887 Maine caches in them - basically everything except the 30ish that I've already seen.

Rather than using the coordinates of each lighthouse, I decided to use the coordinates for each of my favorite lighthouse pictures since that's where I'd want to put my caches. I did a filter to find caches within .5km of the coordinates.

I created a bookmark list of the caches in my result that either mention a lighthouse or I can that I can tell from the map/my memory that the lighthouse will most likely be viewable from the cache. As we get in to this and place our own caches I'll be able to make the list more accurate!

Here's the list:
    http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/...f-4ecd0e66bae1

Thanks again for all the tips!

Lightbulb Maine Challenge

When I wanted to find the caches placed nearest to the DeLorme Unique and Natural, I used my Garmin Mapsource software. I located the areas on Mapsource and then it was easy. Right click on the area and select " find near caches on geocaching.com ". The search box opens in your browser and lists the caches for you.

If you want to create a new database in GSAK, ( call it lighthouses ) you can check the caches you wish to visit from the Maine caches. One of the default filters in GSAK is user flagged, choose it and the only waypoints that will show are those that were checked. Then select, Database in the tool bar and Move/Copy waypoints. Send them to your new database and then you have listed all of the " must see " finds. All in one place.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Maybe I misunderstood the question - I was thinking of doing it with a pocket query from GC.com. GSAK is OK, but only if all the areas covered by the coordinates you want to enter are included in the database.
    I didn't pay as much attention to the question as I did the desired result! And, GSAK is my first instinct since I have all Maine caches loaded there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    Here's the list:
    http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/...f-4ecd0e66bae1

Thanks again for all the tips!
    Great job on the list! If you get enough data perhaps you can create something for the articles section about caching near Maine lighthouses so it is easily accessible. As FFJ suggested, it would be something of interest to many visitors and residents to the state. If you get to that point and would like to supply a map, I'd be glad to whip one up. In fact, I think if you made a separate GSAK database of the lighthouses I could make a map showing those locations.

The possibilities are endless.
    Thanks for contributing to the site. Members make the site what it is!
    Last edited by brdad; 05-12-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I used a macro brdad shared with me to generate a list of caches within half a mile of lighthouses. This is based on the actual lighthouse coordinates, NOT a mainland viewing spot. I'll tweak the macro/list some more before putting together an article. Thanks so much for sharing the macro brdad

BAKER ISLAND LIGHT (1855) (HANCOCK County; City: ISLESFORD):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 6.57 miles away.

BASS HARBOR HEAD LIGHT (1858) (unknown County; City: unknown):
    0.07 miles - Bass Harbor Light (GC869C) by IWCOTTON (1/1)

BEAR ISLAND LIGHT (1889) (HANCOCK County; City: NORTHEAST HARBOR):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 1.79 miles away.

BLUE HILL BAY LIGHT (1857) (HANCOCK County; City: BROOKLIN):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 3.06 miles away.

BOON ISLAND LIGHT (1855) (YORK County; City: YORK):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 10.61 miles away.

BROWNS HEAD LIGHT (1857) (KNOX County; City: VINALHAVEN):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 1.65 miles away.

BURNT COAT HARBOR LIGHT (1872) (HANCOCK County; City: SWANS ISLAND):
    0.13 miles - Hockamock Island Cache (GC6996) by hockamock (1/4)

BURNT ISLAND LIGHT (1821) (LINCOLN County; City: SOUTHPORT):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 2.24 miles away.

CAPE ELIZABETH LIGHTS (1874) (CUMBERLAND County; City: CAPE ELIZABETH):
    0.2 miles - Alphabet Soup "L" (GC1CPWJ) by NorthCumberMouth Cachers (3/2)

"CAPE NEDDICK ""THE NUBBLE"" LIGHT (1879)" (YORK County; City: YORK BEACH):
    0.12 miles - Nubble Trouble (GC17EHF) by indieskime (1/1.5)

CUCKOLDS (THE) LIGHT (1907) (unknown County; City: SOUTHPORT):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 4.99 miles away.

CURTIS ISLAND LIGHT (1896) (KNOX County; City: CAMDEN):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 0.79 miles away.

DEER ISLAND THOROFARE LIGHT (1857) (HANCOCK County; City: TONINGTON):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 2.38 miles away.

DICE HEAD LIGHT (OLD) (1829) (HANCOCK County; City: CASTINE):
    0.04 miles - dyce head - Maine Rose Series (GC10H35) by becket (1.5/1.5)

DOUBLING POINT (KENNEBEC RIVER) RANGE LIGHTS (1898) (SAGADAHOC County; City: ARROWSIC):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 0.79 miles away.

DOUBLING POINT LIGHT (1899) (SAGADAHOC County; City: ARROWSIC):
    0.09 miles - Beacon on the Double (GC185RF) by Woonie (1.5/1.5)

EAGLE ISLAND LIGHT (1838) (HANCOCK County; City: TOWN OF DEER ISLAND):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 4.1 miles away.

EGG ROCK LIGHT (1875) (HANCOCK County; Delorme Map #BAR HARBOR):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 4.28 miles away.

FORT POINT LIGHT (1857) (WALDO County; City: STOCKTON SPRINGS):
    0.23 miles - Fort Point deLight (GC2414) by k1br (1.5/2)

FRANKLIN ISLAND LIGHT (1855) (KNOX County; City: FRIENDSHIP):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 9.58 miles away.

GOAT ISLAND LIGHT (1859) (YORK County; City: KENNEBUNKPORT):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 1 miles away.

GOOSE ROCKS LIGHT (1890) (KNOX County; City: NORTH HAVEN):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 2.86 miles away.

GREAT DUCK ISLAND LIGHT (1890) (HANCOCK County; City: FRENCHBORO):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 11.53 miles away.

GRINDEL POINT LIGHT (1874) (WALDO County; City: ISLESBORO):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 0.61 miles away.

HALFWAY ROCK LIGHT (1871) (CUMBERLAND County; City: SOUTH HARPSWELL):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 6.22 miles away.

HENDRICKS HEAD LIGHT (1875) (LINCOLN County; City: WEST SOUTHPORT):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 0.56 miles away.

HERON NECK LIGHT (1854) (KNOX County; City: VINALHAVEN):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 2.31 miles away.

INDIAN ISLAND LIGHT (1874) (KNOX County; City: ROCKPORT):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 1.39 miles away.

ISLE AU HAUT (ROBINSON POINT) LIGHT (1907) (KNOX County; City: ROBINSON POINT*):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 1.39 miles away.

LIBBY ISLAND LIGHT (1848) (WASHINGTON County; City: MACHIASPORT):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 6.44 miles away.

LITTLE RIVER LIGHT (1876) (WASHINGTON County; City: CUTLER):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 1.16 miles away.

LUBEC CHANNEL LIGHT (1890) (WASHINGTON County; City: LUBEC):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 1.77 miles away.

MARSHALL POINT LIGHT (1857) (KNOX County; City: PORT CLYDE):
    0.13 miles - Seafarers Beacon Cache (GCK4FC) by K1SAM (2/3)

MATINICUS ROCK LIGHT (TWIN TOWERS) (1857) (KNOX County; City: ROCKLAND):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 8.41 miles away.

MONHEGAN ISLAND LIGHT(1850) (LINCOLN County; City: MONHEGAN):
    0.05 miles - Monhegan Magic (GC9216) by Anderson (2.5/5)

MOOSE PEAK LIGHT (1851) (WASHINGTON County; City: JONESPORT):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 5.47 miles away.

MOUNT DESERT ROCK LIGHT (1847) (HANCOCK County; City: FRENCHBORO):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 29.53 miles away.

NARRAGUAGUS (POND ISLAND) LIGHT (1853) (WASHINGTON County; City: MILBRIDGE):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 3.72 miles away.

NASH ISLAND LIGHT (1874) (WASHINGTON County; City: SOUTH ADDISON):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 8.68 miles away.

OWLS HEAD LIGHT (1852) (KNOX County; City: OWLS HEAD):
    0.12 miles - Owl's Head Delight (GCGGT7) by quietbert (1.5/2.5)

PEMAQUID POINT LIGHT (1835) (LINCOLN County; City: PEMAQUID POINT):
    0.22 miles - Pemaquid Light (GCV4CX) by chimneyguy (3/3.5)

PERKINS ISLAND LIGHT (1898) (SAGADAHOC County; City: GEORGETOWN):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 2.04 miles away.

PETIT MANAN LIGHT (1855) (WASHINGTON County; City: MILLBRIDGE):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 13.17 miles away.

POND ISLAND LIGHT (1855) (SAGADAHOC County; City: POPHAM BEACH):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 1.87 miles away.

"PORTLAND BREAKWATER LIGHT (""BUG LIGHT"") (1875)" (CUMBERLAND County; City: SOUTH PORTLAND):
    0 miles - Bug Light (GC1Q6D1) by team moxiepup (2/1.5)
    0.24 miles - Liberty Ships (GC1Q6DZ) by team moxiepup (3/1)

PORTLAND HEAD LIGHT (1791) (CUMBERLAND County; City: CAPE ELIZABETH):
    0.25 miles - PICTURE THIS # 14 PORTLAND HEADLIGHT (GC1CHV2) by HD (1.5/1.5)
    0.36 miles - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (GCR9Q9) by hoamdezinahs (3/1.5)

PROSPECT HARBOR POINT LIGHT (1891) (HANCOCK County; City: PROSPECT HARBOR):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 3.39 miles away.

PUMPKIN ISLAND LIGHT (1854) (HANCOCK County; City: SARGENTVILLE):
    0.47 miles - pumpkin island light - Maine Rose Series (GCZMMH) by becket (1.5/1.5)

RAM ISLAND LEDGE LIGHT (1905) (CUMBERLAND County; City: CAPE ELIZABETH):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 2.09 miles away.

RAM ISLAND LIGHT (1883) (LINCOLN County; City: OCEAN POINT):
    0.21 miles - Ram Isle (GC1E3RP) by PB2J (2/5)

ROCKLAND HARBOR BREAKWATER LIGHT (1902) (KNOX County; City: ROCKLAND):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 1.37 miles away.

SADDLEBACK LEDGE LIGHT (1839) (KNOX County; City: VINALHAVEN):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 7.27 miles away.

SEGUIN ISLAND LIGHT (1857) (SAGADAHOC County; City: BATH):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 3.77 miles away.

SPRING POINT LEDGE LIGHT (1897) (CUMBERLAND County; City: SOUTH PORTLAND):
    0.28 miles - Spring Point Shoreway (GC178KN) by lexmano (2/1.5)
    0.36 miles - Remembering Roger (GC1M91Y) by Dare Bear (2/2)

SQUIRREL POINT LIGHT (1898) (SAGADAHOC County; City: ARROWSIC):
    0.11 miles - Critter Cache (GCGD6Q) by Cassie, Tucker, Mac, Mickie & the Coastal Cachers (2/2.5)

TENANTS HARBOR LIGHT (1857) (LINCOLN County; City: TENANTS HARBOR):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 2.33 miles away.

TWO BUSH ISLAND LIGHT (1897) (unknown County; City: SPRUCEHEAD):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 10.41 miles away.

WEST QUODDY HEAD LIGHT (1858) (WASHINGTON County; City: LUBEC):
    0.06 miles - Fundy Tides (GC15114) by Northwoods Explorer (3.5/3.5)
    0.39 miles - Quoddy Quandry (GC8A65) by k1br (1.5/1.5)

WHALEBACK LEDGE LIGHT (1872) (YORK County; City: KITTERY POINT):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 0.99 miles away.

WHITEHEAD ISLAND LIGHT (1852) (KNOX County; City: TENANTS HARBOR):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 7.38 miles away.

WHITLOCK'S MILL LIGHT (1909) (WASHINGTON County; City: CALAIS):
    0.35 miles - Whitlock's Mill Lighthouse (GCK3DZ) by Red Witch (2/2.5)

WINTER HARBOR LIGHT (1856) (HANCOCK County; City: WINTER HARBOR):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 1.21 miles away.

WOOD ISLAND LIGHT (1858) (YORK County; City: BIDDLEFORD POOL):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 1.51 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    I used a macro brdad shared with me to generate a list of caches within half a mile of lighthouses. This is based on the actual lighthouse coordinates, NOT a mainland viewing spot. I'll tweak the macro/list some more before putting together an article. Thanks so much for sharing the macro brdad

EGG ROCK LIGHT (1875) (HANCOCK County; City: BAR HARBOR):
    There are currently no available caches placed at this location. The closest cache is 12428.65 miles away.
    Dave is really good with the numbers, however, I think I'd get a second opinion on the mileage to this one!!!

Good lord, is that by bike or car?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

That is a nice list - thank you benandtina - as well as brdad for your work on this one. It will be fun to read your article.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Dave is really good with the numbers, however, I think I'd get a second opinion on the mileage to this one!!!
    LOL! Oops, I may have accidentally put in Antarctic coordinates!! Fixed it

Benandtina,
    I am not sure if you are just looking for photography locations on these, but if so, my breakwater lighthouse is a photo spot near the end of the one mile granite breakwater leading to the lighthouse. There are some pics also on the page so you can see if it is what you want.