vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wondering

Default Wondering

I just have to ask. Sorry if I have asked this before, but I can't get this out of my head.

Reading the news letter from GC I was looking at the GPSr they featured. I noticed it can download 2000 caches. Also it does all the paperless stuff. I looked at the price. About $400.

I got a Nuvi 200 a couple of years ago. Cost was about $100. So far I have 25,000 caches in it.All paperless functions included.

Why are the handhelds so limited on the storage of caches? It doesn't make sense.

Oh, and GC says te 1000 PQ's will come online May 2nd
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Hey there Ekidokai send this question to rcwhit, he has just gone paper less and he also bought the garmin paperless one. i think it's a oregon, and he did a lot of looking around before he did this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Why are the handhelds so limited on the storage of caches? It doesn't make sense.
    Sheesh! What doesn't make sense is that Garmin has had expansion memory for years, but you still can't download waypoints to the expansion memory - only the internal memory. What's the purpose of expanded memory if you can't really use it???

I'll tell you something else. My Nuvi has been flashing me that my maps are over a year old. And it is right. It costs $70 to update the maps.

I got a card with a code on it for Christmas to update the maps. I have been trying off and on ever since to get this done. Could not get the code to work, could not sign on to my account. Nothing was going right.

Last two days I have spent 8 hours getting this to work. Even the service people at Garmin could not get into my account. Twice they set up a new account, transfered my two devices over, the code for the maps and then neither one of us could get into the account.

Finally after 38 minutes on the phone we gt it fixed. I went through the process of updating my maps. It took 2 hours 26 minutes. So I did some checking. Pilots Grill is no longer listed. Millers Restaurant still is. That's been closed three years, maybe four? And the developments where some of the caches are located are not there. I know one has been there for four years.

My conclusion is $70 spent for very little improvement and way to difficult.

My question is, I know TomTom has features that update maps for free and allows you to map out new roads. How much trouble is it?

I'll tell you something else. My Nuvi has been flashing me that my maps are over a year old. And it is right. It costs $70 to update the maps.
    It took 2 hours 26 minutes. My conclusion is $70 spent for very little improvement and way to difficult.
    I have to agree. My NUVI had 3 year old maps, so decided to update before driving to NJ last month. It was $70, at various times I could have bought a new one for a few dollars more. The update was ok, and obviously this is a nice profit center for Garmin, but the 3 + hours that it took was painful. I most likely will not do it again.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

The Nuvi can not hold any more waypoints in it than any other GPSr (1000 for my 255w). You can only put 1000's of points on them as points of interest. There is a good chance that even the Lowrance models mentioned in the newsletter will take unlimited (well, limited to external card memory) caches as POIs.

But it seems dumb to load caches into a GPSr as POIs when it has ability for caches, and that cache memory is limited. I've been asking this question for years now.

The Lowrance models are neat in the fact you can filter by cache type/size and d/t. Maybe by the 20th year anniversary they will get the cache storage limit fixed!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The Nuvi can not hold any more waypoints in it than any other GPSr (1000 for my 255w). You can only put 1000's of points on them as points of interest. There is a good chance that even the Lowrance models mentioned in the newsletter will take unlimited (well, limited to external card memory) caches as POIs.

But it seems dumb to load caches into a GPSr as POIs when it has ability for caches, and that cache memory is limited. I've been asking this question for years now.
    !
    Sheesh! You CAN load geocaches as POI's. I've done it, but I don't remember how. You can designate the geocache symbol for the POI's, you list POI's by symbol, and they show up just like geocaches normally do.

But I can't figure out how I did it. Was I dreaming???

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! You CAN load geocaches as POI's. I've done it, but I don't remember how. You can designate the geocache symbol for the POI's, you list POI's by symbol, and they show up just like geocaches normally do.

But I can't figure out how I did it. Was I dreaming???
    Yes, that is what I was saying, you can load them as POIs. That's how Mike and myself and everyone else can load thousands of caches on the Nuvi. There are a couple methods, but I use a GSAK macro to create a file which the Garmin POI loader can load into the SD card on the Nuvi. From my calculations, a 2 GB SD card can hold about 750,000 caches as POIs. GSAK also has an "Export to Garmin POI" feature which I think works for the Garmin handhelds. There are subtle difference between the way standard waypoints and POIs are displayed and accessed on the GPSr.

And that's what gets me, if they can do it with POIs, why can't they do it with the Caches????
    Last edited by brdad; 04-17-2010 at 08:14 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I did not know that. I am going to try the Garmin export on my etrex Venture HC and see what happens. Although I really don't need more than 500 in there at a time.

I don't need it yet because Maine caches have only filled up half the memory on the regular drive of the Nuvi, but can you give me a quick leson oh how to process the POI's on to the SD card?
    Last edited by Ekidokai; 04-18-2010 at 03:21 AM.

I did not know that. I am going to try the Garmin export on my etrex Venture HC and see what happens. Although I really don't need more than 500 in there at a time.

I don't need it yet because Maine caches have only filled up half the memory on the regular drive of the Nuvi, but can you give me a quick leson oh how to process the POI's on to the SD card?
    That is easy, when you use the Garmin POI Loader, just choose Custom Folder (advanced) when it asks where you would like to save your data. When you click next, it will ask you for a folder to save your data, make sure you choose the Garmin directory on the SD card, not on the Nuvi's internal memory - in my case I would save it in Removable Disk (H:).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garminpoidriveselect.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	471  
    Last edited by brdad; 04-18-2010 at 06:10 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!