vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking like we may have a good winter...

Post Looking like we may have a good winter...

For those of you with snowmobiles, things are looking good for you. For those with plows, you better get them ready. The deer shop has been open for business since Sept.9th and the deer and bear that I have processed so far are showing signs of another winter with lots of snow and cold like a couple of years ago.

The deer are very healthy looking and have TONS of fat so far. Even the little bear cub (Discusting that someone shot such a small animal) had a tremendous amount of fat indicating he would have made it through the winter.

Anyway, the signs are there that this winter may be in favor of snowmobiling, ice fishing, snowshoeing, plowing (is that a sport?) etc...

Tom T
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

Quote Originally Posted by team teebow View Post
    For those of you with snowmobiles, things are looking good for you. For those with plows, you better get them ready. The deer shop has been open for business since Sept.9th and the deer and bear that I have processed so far are showing signs of another winter with lots of snow and cold like a couple of years ago.
    Sheesh! Just proves that the deer and bear read the Old Farmer's almanac, too!

The deer are very healthy looking and have TONS of fat so far. Even the little bear cub (Discusting that someone shot such a small animal) had a tremendous amount of fat indicating he would have made it through the winter.

Anyway, the signs are there that this winter may be in favor of snowmobiling, ice fishing, snowshoeing, plowing (is that a sport?) etc...

Tom T
    Since late last Spring I've been saying that this year will be a return to a more normal winter for us here in Maine . . . although I have the right to change my mind based on what I see for precipitation levels in the next few weeks.

Re: The cub . . . I met an avid Maine guide who loves to hunt . . . doesn't matter what critter and he shocked me when he informed me that anyone with a bear permit can take a cub if they so choose . . . although he was quick to add that he lost one client when he refused to take them hunting after they stated they wanted to shoot a cub since a full size bear would be too big for their living room. This to me is the mark of a real Maine guide -- someone with ethics.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I keep telling myself that the person that shot the cub only did it because maybe someone shot its mother. Not that that makes it right!!! I don't hunt bear and I could not bring myself to shoot something that small. I have a hard enough time shooting a deer...it has become easier to pick up road-kill!!! LOL!!!
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

d’76 Guest

I used to be a very active bear hunter and I remember on several occassions really wondering how big the bear was. I find it is very difficult to judge how big a bear really is. Especially from a distance. I think it is because they are so low to the ground and solid black as well as kinda round. I'm not making excuses simply point out that its harder to tell the size on a bear then a deer. Any way looking forward to lots of snow. THe more the merrier.

Tom T
    That's not what the weather man says but I'll take your word that you know what you are talking about. We already ordered a ton more wood pellets than we did last year just in case. I lot of snow would help make up for some of this dry summer and fall.
    Slowly but surely

Quote Originally Posted by FuddsGirls View Post
    . . . I lot of snow would help make up for some of this dry summer and fall.
    All I know is that my grandfather (Pamp), a long-time farmer, used to say that if the farm pond was full in the Fall then the winter would be more mild (less snow) . . . and if it was empty or low then the winter would have more snow than normal.

I haven't been out to check the farm pond, but I'd wager it's pretty dry right about now . . . the next month and a half will be the determining factor for me as to whether this will be a return to a more normal winter after last year's delayed start and the year before with the "Winter That Never Was" (incidentally the farm pond was quite full of water last year and the year before.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

The farm ponds dowb here in midcoast area are about as dry as I've seen in my past 14 yrs. Argh! Hope the tractor is up to par. Figures this is the year without a snowmobile for us.
    Slowly but surely

Yes, it is very dry - I just hope it is snow and not freezing rain - I would rather have feet of snow than inches of ice and rain......

Default Hmmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by FuddsGirls View Post
    The farm ponds dowb here in midcoast area are about as dry as I've seen in my past 14 yrs. Argh! Hope the tractor is up to par. Figures this is the year without a snowmobile for us.
    Deb. You know what I want to say here. Don't yah!

Sheesh! Filtered again....
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.