vb:literal>

View Poll Results: When you're looking for a good smaller cache container what would you use?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lock N' Lock containers

13 61.90%
  • Nalgene bottle

3 14.29%
  • Other

3 14.29%
  • It doesn't really matter what the container is to me

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Container Thoughts. . . .

Default RE: Container Thoughts. . . .

As many of you know I'm an avid ammo box enthusiast when it comes to placing caches. However, sometimes there are times (and I may have a cache that is one of these "times") when you have a great place for a hide, but an ammo box won't quite fit.

I know there's been a lot of debate on good and bad containers so I won't start yet another thread on this topic. However, I would like to know folks feelings on Naglene bottles (good, bad, etc.) vs. the Lock N Locks (good, bad, etc.) or is there another option. I'm looking for something just a bit smaller than an ammo box, rugged, water-proof, etc.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I think the Nalgene bottle would probably be the better container but then you have the problem with making sure the container will always open easily. Sometimes those screw on lids are quite hard to open ,especially in colder weather. On the other hand Lock n Locks are quite easy to open but a lot of people tend not to close them properly so there you have a possible open container. Six of one half a dozen of another. Try them both and see what suits better I guess.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

PVC pipe is another option. They are easy to customize length and diameter. But once again a fail safe lid system is hard to find. The screw on plugs really don't seal well without pipe dope and a wrench, and the rubber ones need a screwdriver for the hose clamp.

The Decon container like I used on Old 470 are cheap and seals decent, but I would not dare use them where any direct moisture would contact it.

I've yet to see ones used as a cache, and not sure how they hold up, but small drybags like rafters and kayakers use can be not too expensive. I am sure someone has used these for caches before, my biggest concern is how well they would hold up to extreme cold. They also make similar hard cases, but they generally cost a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I've yet to see ones used as a cache, and not sure how they hold up, but small drybags like rafters and kayakers use can be not too expensive. I am sure someone has used these for caches before, my biggest concern is how well they would hold up to extreme cold. They also make similar hard cases, but they generally cost a lot more.
    I use a drybag on my kayak and they do a good job of keeping out the water, but if you've never used one before, I can see them getting closed incorrectly. Also, 1 log pen in the wrong spot when you roll it up and it's not waterproof anymore. I don't have any experience with them in cold weather.
    On the upside, they can hold a lot of swag and are less threatening to law enforcement (you can see the contents without touching the container)

d’76 Guest

Nalagene bottles are ok but people tend cram so much stuff in them that its near impossible to get them out. They are tough and water tight.

Default Container

Try a dive shop they have bags you can put two way radios in and use them under water. http://www.diversdirect.com i get stuff from here.

http://www.diversdirect.com/scripts/...hinput=dry+bag

go to home depot and browse the outdoor electrical... they have lots of nifty stuff there... i can't go too in detail because i have a future cache planned with some of that stuff....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

The cache container is only part of keeping water out. Often, the camo can be used to completely protect the container. Conversely, bad camo is one reason "Tupperware" gets such a bad name. Leaves are the worst camo because they collect water. If water is allowed to stay in contact with the cache, and the container gets warm and cools off, the water will get sucked in. Sticks are not much better for camo. If you want to really protect a marginal container, place it inside or under something. Bark is real good, if it is a bigger than the container. Keep in mind, the camo must be very easy for the finder to understand. Otherwise, it will not be replaced properly.

If I get some time, I might try to make a bookmark list of "best non-ammo containers”

My hides include: a watertight box from a kayak shop, a dry bag, a Tupperware, two plastic screw top, and one ammo box. They are all dry.

I like ammo cans but can't seem to find them very often. Anyone have a local supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry
    I like ammo cans but can't seem to find them very often. Anyone have a local supplier?
    Maine Military Surplus in Newport and Bangor have them usually. I like the Brewer one better, but they are not cheap there, $7 for a .50 cal I think. Mardens often has them as well, and cheaper. I was at the one in Ellsworth last week and they had a bunch of the smaller ".30 cal" boxes and a size a little larger than the ".50 cal" boxes. I think they were $3 and $5, respectively.