vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a Travel Bug?

Default What's a Travel Bug?

OK, so what's a TB?? LOL

A travel bug or TB is a dog tag, like soldiers wear, it has a trackable number on it and a etching of a bug. It's attached ,like a keychain, to an object of your choice, and sent out on missions, also choosen by you. Go to a cache page and look on the right side of the page for the inventory.
    This is my Speed Racer TB. He's in The Horseback Cache.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speed.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	296  

The object attached to the TB is a Hitchhiker. They are moved cache to cache to achieve their mission. I have one that is a full size painting of a crow that just travels around to Events to be Discovered. He holds a real TB in his beak. Hiram had a TB on his Jeep. His real, drive around jeep. Hope this helps.
    Opalsns

The tags with the numbers are sold by several companies and at the official Groundspeak store (geocaching.com). The Geocoins also act like travelbugs as they, too, have a trackable number.

So, it to object to see where the TB and hitchhiker go? Different states and such? It might be interesting to have one for the kids to track on a big map for Geography! LOL

Yup, Send them where ever you'd like. One thing to remember, like anything you send out in the world,things sometime come up missing. It's the chance you take ,so let your children know this, also the UGLIER the TB the less collectable it'll be to MUGGLES. Check out the DEAD TB thread on this forum and let your kids read it too!
    Just remember... HAVE FUN WITH IT !!!!
    Opalsns

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac_Mom View Post
    So, it to object to see where the TB and hitchhiker go? Different states and such? It might be interesting to have one for the kids to track on a big map for Geography! LOL
    Exactly . . . different TBs have different missions. The important thing is that if you take a TB make sure you log it on-line (under trackables) so folks can "watch" their TB as it moves from place to place.

Some TBs just want to go wherever . . . others have specific missions.

For example, I have a Bangor Ladder (well small version of the real thing) that I made that has the goal of traveling to areas where major fires took place.

I have seen one TB that wanted to go to mountaintops . . . others that wanted to be near zoos.

I believe Hiram's Jeep TB had the goal of just not getting in a crash.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Exactly . . . different TBs have different missions. The important thing is that if you take a TB make sure you log it on-line (under trackables) so folks can "watch" their TB as it moves from place to place.

Some TBs just want to go wherever . . . others have specific missions.

For example, I have a Bangor Ladder (well small version of the real thing) that I made that has the goal of traveling to areas where major fires took place.

I have seen one TB that wanted to go to mountaintops . . . others that wanted to be near zoos.

I believe Hiram's Jeep TB had the goal of just not getting in a crash.
    Jake has summed it up nicely. Sometimes there is a tag attached or a paper in the baggie with the goal. Other times you never know the goal until you pick it up and log it as retrieved.

Some cachers actually help the owner and print out a page with the goal and put the item in a baggie. I like TBs and Geocoins in baggies or with coins flips (the little, small plastic page like things they come in).

Also, it helps if you put Geocoins in with the log book baggie. Log them in the cache log and also on line.

Never put the number on the TB or coin in the on line log. Go to trackables and put it in there so you can pick it up. If you pick up trackables and need help - just ask.

Also, if you pick up and move on a trackable and want to watch it - for the the kids - you can put put it in your watch list and then will get an email every time it moves.

Yes, Jake summed it up nicely.
    Opalsns

Oh,,, I thought a "travel bug" was something that WhereRwe? and RULost? caught. I also thought it may be contagious too because Brdad and Msteelee seemed to suffer a case of it also.

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)