vb:literal>

Thread: Magnets for micro caches

Default Magnets for micro caches

Where would one buy magnets to use with a micro cache? It would need to be strong enough to hold a waterproof match container w/ log. It would be camo duct taped to the outside.

Old hard drives have some great magnets in them if you have any kicking around. Other than that, some hardware stores sell magnets. Rare earth or Neodymium magnets are the best bet. They are super strong for their size.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Lightbulb What I have found

I have found that it is surprisingly hard to locate magnets when you live a small Podunk town :-) However just up the road from me in the slightly larger Podunk town of Belfast. Their "Big Chain" hardware stores had NOTHING to offer me so I went to the one downtown across from Army navy (Next to the Green Store) and they had an 8 pack of round magnets for $2 you have to adhere them on yourself but SUDSFAM has already successfully used them in a micro she placed and she only needed to use 2 I believe.

These are also very strong: http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/770f/
    Last edited by ImKukie; 05-14-2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: I must learn the art of proof reading before posting.

I found some rare earth magnets in what was the old Bangor True Value Hardware . . . you might have some luck in checking out your local True Value Store.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Craft stores can have them as well. IIRC Joanne fabrics has a limited supply of the neodymium magnets, and I know they have the ceramic ones. But neodymium/ rare earth is the way to go if at all possible.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."