vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should warnings be required (dangerous plant)?

Default Should warnings be required (dangerous plant)?

I was caching in NJ over the holiday. I went to a nature trail area that had 4 or 5 caches. The first cache was an easy find. But the second cache was a different story. The caches name is "sting" GC116GQ. I walked to where the coordinates took me and as I was reaching for what I thought might be the cache my hand touched a plant that sent pain jabbing into me. For two days I couldn't make the pain stop. I don't know what the plant is. Maybe if I was a native to the area I would but I'm not. Shouldn't there have been a warning on this cache!!

I avoided the next two caches because that plant was everywhere.

Absolutely. The kids and I went to a cache on an island that had a warning specifically not to bring kids because of stinging plants. Mom was the only one who got caught up in them but the warning was there and the kids were careful.
    Slowly but surely

Stinging Nettle. There's a lot of it in Maine, too.

Actually, based on the cache name, I don't think the cache should have been approved. Perhaps our local approver could comment...

Quote Originally Posted by balinda View Post
    I was caching in NJ over the holiday. I went to a nature trail area that had 4 or 5 caches. The first cache was an easy find. But the second cache was a different story. The caches name is "sting" GC116GQ. I walked to where the coordinates took me and as I was reaching for what I thought might be the cache my hand touched a plant that sent pain jabbing into me. For two days I couldn't make the pain stop. I don't know what the plant is. Maybe if I was a native to the area I would but I'm not. Shouldn't there have been a warning on this cache!!

I avoided the next two caches because that plant was everywhere.
    It sounds like WhereAreWe? is right on - as others at that cache have identified it as Nettle in their log.

Wikipedia has some good information about the plant and how it stings - here is the information about the itch - "If stung by a nettle effective anti-itch drugs are available, usually in the form of creams containing antihistaminics or hydrocortisone. Many ineffective folk remedies exist for treating the itching, including horsetail (Equisetopsida spp.), leaf of dock (Rumex spp.), Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis and Impatiens pallida), mud, saliva, baking soda[9], or calamine lotion. These methods can cause short relief only through mechanical stimulation such as rubbing or scratching or by cooling."

Hope this helps.

And it's good to eat, too.

I think I read crushing the plant renders the pricks unable to hurt you. Regardless, I am a chicken and would stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by balinda View Post
    I was caching in NJ over the holiday.

And you didn't say "hello?????????????"

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    And it's good to eat, too.
    Where's Eule Gibbons when we need him????

Default How many warnings should cache hiders give???

While I agree it's a nice gesture to give warning when possible, I think for the most part it should be up to the cache finder to be aware of his surroundings and keep a sharp eye out, especially when in an area you are not accustomed to.

The cache mentioned in the opening post was hidden in February, so the cache hider could have been unaware of it's existence when it was hidden. It is also an area where the plant is common enough that the hider felt local cachers would notice it without warning. It could be that the hider didn't want to give the cache location away by mentioning it was hidden near the plants. Obviously, the hider could have edited the page after reading the logs if they so chose.

If cache hiders warned of every danger cache descriptions would be 6 pages long, especially if we considered that there might be visitors to the cache that have no idea of Maine's dangers. Every Maine cache would need a "Watch the ice in Winter" warning; Guard rail caches would need a "Watch out for moving traffic" warning; Light Pole caches would need a "Danger of Electrocution" Warning; Mountain caches would need a "Falling from the top of this mountain could be deadly" warning; Micro caches would need a "Danger of boring cache" warning (I just had to add some humor in there ).

Anyway, IMO it comes down to personal responsibility. If you are going somewhere where there are likely to be animals or plants or other dangers you are not used to, it is up to you to do some research so you an prevent harm.

So, simply stated, it's nice when cache hiders give warning, but it's safer to be informed.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Just as we were to leave Washington State on our bike trip my friend Gene asked us if we were aware of stinging nettle. I told him I had some in my flower garden at home. Gene said he was aware of the type nettle I was talking about. Gene also said the nettle here was much more severe in it's stinging. He then preceded to take us to a local park and give us a hands on look at the plant. I could see the human hair size stingers all over the plant. Even after all the warnings Gene gave us , I still had to just touch one. Big Big Mistake. My finger ache for days. Just from one little touch, I can't imagine the pain of backing into one of these things with ones pants down. But we were told it happens out west a lot. Causing emergency room treatment.