vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eustis Cache Challenge

Wink Eustis Cache Challenge

I've decided to start a "Eustis Cache Challenge" with "degrees" offered for each level of achievement. To get A EBGC (Eustis Bachelor of Geocaching) degree you need to find all 14 caches that are on islands or near the shore of Flagstaff Lake. To date those are, in somewhat geographical order: View From The Bridge; Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail #1; The Town That Drowned; Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail #5 - "My Island"; Moon Over The Bigelows; The Hydrant; Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail # 4; Bigelow Preserve; The Sky, The Stars, the Wilderness; There Was A Land;
    Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail # 2; Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail # 6-Island #1;
    Reed Brook-How Far Will You Go?-Cache Trail # 3; and Milwaukee Brewers. Twelve of them I have put out, one is by Nick MacCache and one by Katahdin Goddess. Only six, the ones that say Flagstaff Lake Cache Trail require a boat but all 14 could be accessed by putting in at or near the cache.

To get a Master's degree you also need to pass logging road driving, without getting hit by a logging truck (hint: logging trucks drive in the middle of the road so keep to the right, especially on curves). For that you need to Find: Big Jim Pond; Appleton Corner; Waterfalls; WW II Prisoner of War Camp; and Loose Moose. Granted, you are almost over to Jackman by that time, but the last four of these can be accessed by going in the Goldbrook Road above Eustis to Appleton Corner and then take the Spencer Road for the last three. A great time to do that is in the fall, when you are likely to see moose and wonderful foliage. And of course, weekends are the best time to avoid logging trucks.

To get your PhD you also have to find A View of the Lake; and the cache on Sugarloaf.

The requirements for these degrees may get more difficult every year, as more caches are added. I'm working on suitable rewards for those who participate! And maybe for those with the best stories to tell....
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

OM Gosh - KL - I love it! Do you know how to bookmark the series? If not, I bet BRDad would help.

There is nothing Useless in Eustis!

Question Ready by Friday?

I'm sorry about the rush this month; I'll be out of touch all next week up in Stuben, so the newsletter needs to be mostly completed by Friday, but if you get this challenge published by Friday, I can add it to the Newsletter's feature about challenge caches, as the newest Maine challenge cache!
    Post on this thread the cache page when published or PM me.
    Thanks for an excuse for a great adventure (or more likely many adventures!)
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Steph - I am not sure KL was going to post this as a challenge cache......but rather just put it out as a challenge here. She, of course, would have to speak to that fact.

If she wants to publish it and isn't sure how - I am sure there are a bunch who would help her when she is up her caching in August.

I love it Jean, I think I'm maybe have 1/2 of them found, I will be up your way again real soon to try to get the rest.

Useless in Eustis weekend and pre-weekend - woot!

Default challenged!

I think we will be up early too and might plan on doing a few around the lake. Thanks for all the work you have done.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I think we will be up early too and might plan on doing a few around the lake. Thanks for all the work you have done.
    Bec and I are headed up early Thursday with Amara and my camper. I won't kayak alone and wasn't sure Jean wanted to be my chaprone

If you, or of course, anyone else comes up early - that would help. Maybe I could do it one day with a group and Becka with someone the next (I could babysit). Then again - with a canoe - all 3 of us should be fine to go together (bearing wind/water/weather conditions).

I am so looking forward to this adventure and the weekend!

Default kayaking....

We will be happy to help out any way we can. Not sure but plans are now to be up there early Friday afternoon. I still want to head up to Bemis for the sunset. I realize the cache is gone. I just want to enjoy the beautiful sunset. Believe it ...or not.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    We will be happy to help out any way we can. Not sure but plans are now to be up there early Friday afternoon. I still want to head up to Bemis for the sunset. I realize the cache is gone. I just want to enjoy the beautiful sunset. Believe it ...or not.
    Woot - doesn't look like or sound like the physical cache has been removed yet. And I am sure you are right - great views and a beautiful sunset.