vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2009 - Hancock County Relay for Life - Cachers Who Care!

Default 2009 - Hancock County Relay for Life - Cachers Who Care!

In 2008, a small but hearty group of cachers supported the Hancock County Relay for Life in Ellsworth ME. We raised money and donated it (hey, that's the purpose of replay), we spend nearly 20 hours together, cooked and ate a great breakfast (folks were stopping on the track to smell our food), walked (and Kaching Karen is the best when it comes to the costumes - and yes, please - we NEED more walkers), talked (about how cancer has effected all of us, about geocaching and a ton of other stuff) and all left saying.........let's do this again in 2009! So, our team is signed up...on line....and so are two of the team members. We also have a verbal commitment from CacheMaine 1 & 2, vicbiker, chercacher, and Mainiac1957 along with Quilting Mom&Mike are going to try and make it.

The event will be held Friday night, June 12th through Saturday morning this year in Ellsworth. The Team Captain is, none other than, our own EMSDanel. Anyone who is going to participate should post to this thread and also sign up on line at http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg...mp;fr_id=16432 It is an easy process and if you need help - contact Dan or me.

Please remember, this is not an "official Geocaching event" because it can not be due to the guidelines. But, it is an event which some of us enjoy participating in and endorse. We would love to have other cachers join us for as long, or as short a time as possible, help us raise money to donate for our team or just support us with our find raising efforts.

I am hopeful, since I am not a new poster and not a spammer that some of our efforts may be posted here for folks to peruse. One reason I am posting this now is so folks can plan. Both for fund raising things as well as timing to participate.

Nothing made me any more upset than missing some nice Christmas Geocoins this year, because my budget was spent and I ddn't know they were coming.....urghhh! So for the pleasure of those who might like some trinkets for their donation - here is what will be offered - so far.......

Coming sometime in January - if the pathtag Gods bless us - is a specialty pathtag just for this relay. It was designed by one of our "Team" - CacheMaine2 or Tim. The luminary will "glow in the dark". These are available in limited quanities and the minting is only 200. Here is a blueprint of the tag. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...blueprint2.jpg No more will be made.

CacheMaine will be selling some on Ebay - Vic & Cheryl have committed to take some, Dan will take some and I will have the rest. Here is how it will work. The minimum donation for one of these pathtags is $5/per tag (remember - this is a fund raiser!) You may obtain your tag from any of us. I have already pre-sold 4. So, if you want in one owning one of these special tags - contact one of us and pitch your deal. Once they are gone - they are gone and I think these will be hot....so you may not want to wait. I feel confident these will sell out. Please remember - these are not in hand - delivery will be sometime after January.

Another fun raising effort is a small (2" high and long) Beast Cancer duckie. I have 12 light pink and 12 dark pink ducks available to help us raise funds. Yup, these are tiny duck but I hope mighty ducks to raise some funds for our Relay Team! Go - Cachers Who Care! http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...a/133_5509.jpg Again, a fund raiser, so these are going for a donation of $3.00 each. I am the only one with the ducks right now. If you are interested in one, please email me. Wouldn't these make a cute TB or a sweet FTF prize? Lots of other things you might do with them as well.

OK - long post, but, here's the summary - Want to participate with "Cachers Who Care" in a Relay for Life in Ellsworth ME? Post here or contact one of us! Want either of the currently available fund raising items - contact either me, or, with the pathtags one of the cachers who will have them when they arrive. And of course, questions - please ask.

Merry Christmas to one and all!

Hello everyone...I'm here with an update on Relay For Life of Hancock County. Relay started in Seattle in 1985 and has become the largest non-profit fund raiser in the world. The money raised goes to cancer research and programs for cancer patients. Do you know someone who has had cancer? I'll bet you do. I started a geocaching team last year because I knew, as a group, we don't really have a "cause" ......bikers have Toys for Tots, Shriners have their burn centers, Kiwanis has embraced pediatric trauma, etc. As Hollora mentioned above, a group of geocachers came together as a team, camped out, and walked at this past year's Relay. There were 23 teams that participated in 2008. This coming spring marks the 25th anniversary for Relay For Life and our 10th year in Ellsworth.

We'd love to have many more geocachers join us in June. Joining is very easy to do online and much of the money raised is by having friends and family donate online (secure) under your name as a team member. One idea that I might try is to get people to pledge $1 (or even 50 cents) for every cache I find between now and then. As things came to a close on Saturday morning of this past spring's Relay we were stunned to discover that all the teams combined had raised over $70,000 at our Relay and the final total (money kept trickling in) was over $77,000!! Kaching Karen had made a sign with the Groundspeak logo on it and the team name...which was proudly standing in front of the team's campsite. I appreciated greatly that geocachers had come together to form a team which would help make the world a better place for tomorrow (much like the spirit of CITO). I hope many of you can join us this coming spring!

Just heard from another cacher who will be joining us and is going to take some pathtags to sell - Team2Hunt! Thank you Gary for joining the team!

Oh - and a reminder too.......if any of you work for an employer who will do matching funds - OMG - that would be great!!!!

And Cameo is now on the Relay Team page - thank you CacheMaine/Cameo! Remember - everyone is welcome to join us..........and we will keep you posted on what will happen as time moves along.

One thing to do - is fund raise - and if you need hints, tips, clues, ask - any one of use......or check out the web site.

Well, I hope some of the other Cachers who have signed up to participate in this Relay for Life begin posting here ....... as, it's not my thread! It's a community thread.

But some news - the Fund Raising pathtags have arrived!!!! Here and ready for delivery. I have already mailed 8 to folks outside of our area who "just had to have" one.......or more.

Tags are $5 each which covers the actual cost of the tag plus a minimum donation. I had to promise hubby I would replace the bank account ..... Of course, shipping is extra and folks who have paid with Paypal have added the Paypal fee (Bless them!).

I am not the only one who will have these - and everyone has their own rules/sales guidelines.......but the minimum will be the same - $5/each please and of course, you may always give more. I have already packaged the tags which will go to Team Captain Bahr, Team Member CacheMaine 1 & 2, Team Members vic-biker and chercacher and Team Member Team2Hunt. Am awaiting word from Team Member KachingKaren on how many she wants to take.

Only 200 were made and we will not probably have time for a remint - sooo, if you want one of these please do not wait. Since these are dated - they will be a collectible. The date on the bottom is very small but it is there. I know they are going to go fast once a buzz starts on the Pathtag Forums. They just arrived today - no one has seen them yet but me. They are gorgeous done in black nickel with a Glow-in-the-Dark lumininaria (very, very cool - and glow is not always available!!!!). Email me or talk to anyone of us to reserve your pathtag.

Remember - Cachers Who Care are walking this relay and this is one of our fund raising efforts. You are welcome to join us - and no donation will be refused.......no donation is to small. Just contact EMSDanel for details.

Thank you all for looking!
    Last edited by hollora; 01-02-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: needed a space

Hey folks.... I picked up my Relay For Life pathtags from Hollora tonight and they are way cool! The luminaria bags depicted on the pathtags look exactly like real luminaria bags and they glow just like the ones we place out on the track where we walk. I'm going to be carrying some with me at all times and if you see me out on the trail or at a geoevent don't be shy, just ask to buy one. All of the money is going to cancer research and support programs for cancer patients. And these are real pathtags to add to your collection.

Just an update on the Relay which a few of us are planning on participating in - the date has been changed! "Due to a conflict with the Ellsworth High School Graduation on June 12, 2009, we have decided to move the Relay For Life of Hancock County to June 5 & 6, 2009. The event will still be at the Ellsworth Middle School track, and will start at 4:00 p.m. on Friday and end at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday."

I think I can make that one.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Pathtags

I would love to purchase a pathtag! Are you coming to the WWWWW5?
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

To Ekidokai and any other cachers who want to join our geocachers team...it's easy! As Hollora stated in her first entry in this thread, you can go to:

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=16432

Just click on "Join" to sign up with our team. The team will be camping out overnight in tents and walking on the track. Remember: this is a fundraiser to help fight cancer. If you have never known anyone who has had cancer then you are extremely fortunate. But I'm willing to bet that that you do know someone who has had cancer. Geocaching is a wonderful sport that gets you outside, getting your exercise, and seeing sights that you never would have seen. I discovered geocaching after having survived throat cancer and my life has been greatly enriched by this sport. I survived due to advanced diagnostics and treatment modalities that were funded, in great part, by money raised at Relays For Life all across the U.S. If you know someone who has had cancer, or if you feel fortunate to be healthy enough to be able to go geocaching then please know that you are invited to join our team. It's the 25th anniversary of the start of Relay and the 10th year of our Relay in Ellsworth. Geocachers that I have met here in Maine are truly quality people. THIS is the year for you to join us and make a difference.