vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Wireless Routers

Default RE: Wireless Routers

I'm thinking of getting a wireless router for set up at my house to a) allow my wife and I to watch movies and shows through the Wii from Netflix, Hulu, CBS, etc. and b) to be able to set up an outdoor movie theatre for next year's campers at Camp Jakeawana (Bgrffdave came up with that idea).

Any idea on what is good . . . or not good . . . for wi-fi routers?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

We have two Netgear WPN824 wireless routers in our house, the oldest of which is 3 or 4 years old. Previously we had a different model Netgear router which got bit by lightning. Other than that we have had no issues with these units and we use them for our PDAs, laptops, shared wireless printer, and the Wii.

I can't say if there is better as I have never had anything else, all I know as these have worked great for me.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

The guru with the suggestion has one at his house and set up one at mine. If he isn't to busy with construction - check with him too.

I haven't had good luck with the configuration of Belkin routers but haven't had a single issue with my Netgear. I think it has less to do with the router itself than it does with the machine its connected to. When I was using the Belkin, I didnt actually have it connected to a pc, it was just set up right at the jack and wasnt secure. I had the same set up Netgear and no issues. I have heard that the range is better with Netgear.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I have a Linksys router and have had it for 4 or 5 years. No issues with it at all. It is parked in my basement and we pick up the signal on the first and second floors without a problem.

Along the same lines... Anyone have one of these routers hooked up to a wireless DSL modem? The signal strength on my DSL modem isn't that great, and I'd like to connect it to something with more range, but I'm not sure how to disable the wireless modem.

Bruce, some local providers actually probhibit this without paying for wireless capability. How, I don't know. I didn't realize you can restrict the connection. My parents live down in Bristol and have Tidewater Telcom. The modem they were given only allows for a direct connection from the phone jack to the modem to the PC. Anything else in line to the PC somehow stops them from running wireless without paying extra. I think this is crazy but somehow they can stop it. I've tried with two different routers and a bunch of different software options and can't make it work. They called to find out why and were told they dont pay for the wireless service so they wouldnt be able to put any other devices in the line to the pc itself. I think they do this to combat those that dont want home phone but still want the wireless highspeed. Trying to get every bit of access they can out of people.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Bruce, some local providers actually probhibit this without paying for wireless capability.
    But I do pay extra for the Wireless modem. A wired modem (to which I could attach a wireless router) is free from my provider (TDS Telecom). I have 4 network jacks on the back of the wireless modem, so I know I could run wires to my computer if we didn't have wireless adapters in our computers. I just want to replace the wireless capability of the DSL modem with something better.

(Just to clarify - the DSL modem is wired to my phone lines. It doesn't RECEIVE wireless signals, it just transmits them within my house.)

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    But I do pay extra for the Wireless modem. A wired modem (to which I could attach a wireless router) is free from my provider (TDS Telecom). I have 4 network jacks on the back of the wireless modem, so I know I could run wires to my computer if we didn't have wireless adapters in our computers. I just want to replace the wireless capability of the DSL modem with something better.

(Just to clarify - the DSL modem is wired to my phone lines. It doesn't RECEIVE wireless signals, it just transmits them within my house.)
    Buy wireless router, connect its wan port to the modem and you are all set. If you don't know how to disable wireless on you modem then don't.
    Moo

Buy Linksys wrt54gl
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54GL#WRT54GL

then install ddwrt on it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT

and then you can configure it how ever you want, sky is your limit.
    Moo