View Full Version : Cache Finds - Return Visits

hollora
07-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Has anyone besides me noticed that there is an emerging group of cachers who return to caches they have previously found and logging these as found again?:eek: I know this is not about the numbers but these can surely inflate folks figures.

In the past, I made a post about how it was a shame that GC.com software would not catch this error. There were some comments to my post.

Just sort of a question to all. Should duplicate posts be deleted by the cache owner? There may be an instance where the post was done in error and the cacher really wanted to post a note for the revisit. I don't mind the note but it really isn't fair to post another find (with a smilie and an additional cache find in your stats).

Just wondering what some others thinK?

Mainiac1957
07-30-2007, 06:18 PM
I won't go up up my soap box, but most know my feelings on cache numbers. One signed log equals one found cache equals one smiley. It's just that simple. Mistakes however can be made. Stuff happens!:rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
07-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Has anyone besides me noticed that there is an emerging group of cachers who return to caches they have previously found and logging these as found again?:eek: I know this is not about the numbers but these can surely inflate folks figures.

It IS about the numbers!

Back when finding a cache was an accomplishment, we used to be concerned "about the numbers". Not any more. We were disgusted a year ago when we cached as far as Alabama on what we thought would be a great caching experience. Sheesh! Caches everywhere - every few hundred feet. They served no purpose other than increasing "the numbers".

We're not that "pure" - we'll log any cache we pass - but we don't enjoy caching as much as we used to.

Anyone who logs a cache twice is only concerned about "the numbers". There can be no other explanation for it. :( :(

WhereRWe?
07-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Just sort of a question to all. Should duplicate posts be deleted by the cache owner? There may be an instance where the post was done in error and the cacher really wanted to post a note for the revisit.

Lacking an explanation as to why the cache was logged twice, I'd delete the 2d entry.

But as with all caches, it's up to the cache owner. I think I've only deleted one cache log in the 4 years we've been caching. That log was by the cacher's dog.

Sheesh!

hollora
07-30-2007, 07:25 PM
I think I've only deleted one cache log in the 4 years we've been caching. That log was by the cacher's dog.

Sheesh!

OMGoodness and I thought cachers duplicaing logs were bad LOL

hollora
07-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I won't go up up my soap box, but most know my feelings on cache numbers. One signed log equals one found cache equals one smiley. It's just that simple. Mistakes however can be made. Stuff happens!:rolleyes:

You could be right - I guess if the cacher just doesn't know that = a mistake.

Haffy
07-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Lacking an explanation as to why the cache was logged twice, I'd delete the 2d entry.

But as with all caches, it's up to the cache owner. I think I've only deleted one cache log in the 4 years we've been caching. That log was by the cacher's dog.

Sheesh!

Bullie for you Bruce:D :eek: And you know what I mean;) That dog has more caches than anyone here in the state of Maine and he hides them too,,,,go figure..

brdad
07-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Before deleting the log, email them and explain you do not allow multiple finds on your caches and ask that they edit their log and change it to a note.

Sabby
07-30-2007, 10:32 PM
There are a few, very few, caches out there that the owners indicated that it was OK to log a second time.
One I have in mind was muggled in its origional location. It was then moved a few hundred feet to a more secure spot. It still had the same GC number and name. Cachers who found it in both locations were allowed to log it both times.

Sudonim
07-31-2007, 12:50 AM
There are a few, very few, caches out there that the owners indicated that it was OK to log a second time.
One I have in mind was muggled in its origional location. It was then moved a few hundred feet to a more secure spot. It still had the same GC number and name. Cachers who found it in both locations were allowed to log it both times.
I see that example as being OK to log twice. It's as if you logged the first cache, it was disabled and a second cache was posted. If the second cache log is at a new location, it is like finding a new cache. Just my opinion...

WhereRWe?
07-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Before deleting the log, email them and explain you do not allow multiple finds on your caches and ask that they edit their log and change it to a note.

Oh, yes. I had quite an email exchange about deleting the dog's log. ;) ;)

firefighterjake
07-31-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't know what else I can add except to say that I agree . . . some cachers may not realize that they are only supposed to log a find once -- in fact I e-mailed a cacher recently who was logging her own caches as finds and explained that geocaching etiquette is that you don't log your own caches . . . she replied back by thanking me and saying she had fixed the error . . . but she was told by another cacher that it was fine and acceptable to log her own caches as finds.

I have also seen new cachers log a second find at their own or other caches when going with other folks or when doing a TB or coin drop . . . again they may simply not know that this is not normally acceptable. As mentioned a quick e-mail may remedy this situation.

Folks that seem to be deliberately logging in a second find should in my opinion be notified . . . and if they don't change the log entry in my opinion the cache owner should delete or change the log entry.

It could also be that the cacher has Alzheimer's and doesn't remember being at the cache before . . . and yes I am kidding . . . sometime remind me and I can tell you some stories of my Pamp when he had Alzheimers.

Another question I have is if there are cachers out there logging double finds with sock puppets . . . in other words logging a find under their normal name and then logging a second find for numbers purposes with another different name that counts towards their numbers.

This all said, I don't really know if this has been a major issue or not . . . I don't think I've had double posters, sock puppets or anything like that at my caches . . .

firefighterjake
07-31-2007, 08:24 AM

Sheesh!

So how does a dog write in the log . . . I mean without an opposable thumb it must be pretty darn difficult to write with a pen or pencil. :D

And on a serious note, I'm guessing that this cacher is no longer logging in with his/her dog?

firefighterjake
07-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Whenever I'm in doubt as to what to do when I log a cache I always ask, WWHD? . . . What Would Hiram Do?:D

Sudonim
07-31-2007, 09:54 AM
So how does a dog write in the log . . . I mean without an opposable thumb it must be pretty darn difficult to write with a pen or pencil. :D

And on a serious note, I'm guessing that this cacher is no longer logging in with his/her dog?

If it's the dog I'm thinking of, he has over 5000 finds! That's a lot of dog chow.

firefighterjake
07-31-2007, 01:10 PM
If it's the dog I'm thinking of, he has over 5000 finds! That's a lot of dog chow.

Must be WonderDog then . . . or maybe Hong Kong Phooey?

hollora
07-31-2007, 06:54 PM
I wonder how many cache finds Sweetie and Jock have? But they have TBs so many their owner has tracked their miles LOL!

Mainiac1957
07-31-2007, 09:40 PM
If only I could have taught one to find ammo cans and the other to find tupperware. I would be the cache finding king. They are just good company instead.

dí76
07-31-2007, 09:42 PM
If only I could have taught one to find ammo cans and the other to find tupperware. I would be the cache finding king. They are just good company instead.

At the rate we are going you could teach them to find film canisters and you would be a cache king:p :D

WhereRWe?
08-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Are you kidding??? This dog is one of the top 100 cachers (#64) in the country! LOL! :eek: :eek:

(I'll let someone else post links if they want - I kinda have a history with these people...) :o :o

Sudonim
08-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Actually I can't complain about them logging the dog. It doesn't count towards their counts so they don't gain an advantage, more like they think it's cute. Now the dog PLACING caches....

WhereRWe?
08-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Actually I can't complain about them logging the dog. It doesn't count towards their counts so they don't gain an advantage, more like they think it's cute. Now the dog PLACING caches....

Um.... Yeah - the dog I'm speaking of has placed 16 caches! :eek: :eek:

Oh - and how about the dog's owner logging the caches placed by the dog - and vice-versa? Sheesh!

And don't even ask! Of course they're micros! LOL!

Sudonim
08-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Um.... Yeah - the dog I'm speaking of has placed 16 caches! :eek: :eek:

Oh - and how about the dog's owner logging the caches placed by the dog - and vice-versa? Sheesh!

And don't even ask! Of course they're micros! LOL!

Well of course they're micros! How do you expect a little dog to haul an ammo box to the lamppost:p

...and I DO have an issue with the dog's owner "finding" the cache.

WhereRWe?
08-01-2007, 06:21 PM
...and I DO have an issue with the dog's owner "finding" the cache.

Well, there is also the dog owner's spouse, who also logs the cache! LOL!

(Hey! I hear you, people! I know the people enjoy caching and their style is their style.

But it's like people who dump their ash trays in the parking lot. They think it's OK, but I think it sucks! LOL!)

brdad
08-01-2007, 07:16 PM
(Hey! I hear you, people! I know the people enjoy caching and their style is their style.

But it's like people who dump their ash trays in the parking lot. They think it's OK, but I think it sucks! LOL!)

That's exactly what I have against the "to each his own" and "let them cache the way they want" theories that many cachers promote.

If we let anyone and everyone cache the way they wanted:

There would be piratecachers moving our caches to another location of their choosing and posting the coords on their site.

People who dislike micros could log their find, remove the cache and request the cache be archived.

Cache owners would have to respect cachers logging multiple finds on their caches.

Others could freely follow "The Team's" antics and steal caches and TBs and leave bodily fluids in others.

LPCs would be allowed in all light poles, disregarding the .1 mile rule, because it's just not humane to let all the other light poles at Wal-Mart miss out on the fun.

Cachers could feel free to leave their sticky ice cream sandwiches in caches in hopes someone could re-freeze them once again.

Dogs, cats, goldfish, stuffed deer, and ticks would be allowed to place and hide caches and log multiple finds on them.

Anyway, you get my point - there has to be limits.

Mainiac1957
08-01-2007, 09:58 PM
That's exactly what I have against the "to each his own" and "let them cache the way they want" theories that many cachers promote.

If we let anyone and everyone cache the way they wanted:

There would be piratecachers moving our caches to another location of their choosing and posting the coords on their site.

People who dislike micros could log their find, remove the cache and request the cache be archived.

Cache owners would have to respect cachers logging multiple finds on their caches.

Others could freely follow "The Team's" antics and steal caches and TBs and leave bodily fluids in others.

LPCs would be allowed in all light poles, disregarding the .1 mile rule, because it's just not humane to let all the other light poles at Wal-Mart miss out on the fun.

Cachers could feel free to leave their sticky ice cream sandwiches in caches in hopes someone could re-freeze them once again.

Dogs, cats, goldfish, stuffed deer, and ticks would be allowed to place and hide caches and log multiple finds on them.

Anyway, you get my point - there has to be limits.

Tell us how you really feel.:rolleyes:

I agree with what you and the other have siad. But what it is, is what it is.

firefighterjake
08-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Are you kidding??? This dog is one of the top 100 cachers (#64) in the country! LOL! :eek: :eek:

(I'll let someone else post links if they want - I kinda have a history with these people...) :o :o

Well now you've just got me curious . . . is there a link anywhere showing the top 100 cachers in the country?

WhereRWe?
08-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Well now you've just got me curious . . . is there a link anywhere showing the top 100 cachers in the country?

Here's a link for the "Top 100" in Maine (http://www.cacherstats.com/Maine1.html). Click on "Location Index" to go to the home page, where you can select Top 100 by state/country.

Congrats! You're #15 in Maine! LOL!

:D :D

we3beans
08-02-2007, 02:49 PM
hey that dustino is from CT....

firefighterjake
08-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Here's a link for the "Top 100" in Maine (http://www.cacherstats.com/Maine1.html). Click on "Location Index" to go to the home page, where you can select Top 100 by state/country.

Congrats! You're #15 in Maine! LOL!

:D :D

Ah . . . now I know who you're talking about . . . they pulled all of the caches they had here in Maine didn't they? I seem to remember a cache at the Newport Wendys . . . which of course now is a Newport Tim Hortons.:D Do they still come up here to Maine?

Beach Comber
08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
It could also be that the cacher has Alzheimer's and doesn't remember being at the cache before . . . and yes I am kidding . . . sometime remind me and I can tell you some stories of my Pamp when he had Alzheimers.

I know there are times when I haven't remembered being at a cache - I don't think I have logged one twice though. If I did - oops! Sometimes I feel like I should log my own cache when I find it - hehehehe - but that would mean more than double logs :o

I'm not worried about my numbers or yours, theirs, his, hers, or anyone's. I now spend my days scrtutinizing pregnant moms with ultrasound for birth defects. If the worse thing I find on any given day is a duplicate log on one of my caches, it's a good day. It's all relative.

Beach Comber
08-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Ah . . . now I know who you're talking about . . . they pulled all of the caches they had here in Maine didn't they? I seem to remember a cache at the Newport Wendys . . . which of course now is a Newport Tim Hortons.:D Do they still come up here to Maine?

Yes, they do and they have contacted me to see if there are any events in the works for August as they would like to get together and see people.

Sudonim
08-02-2007, 05:56 PM
If you see them at an event, ask if they have their coin collection with them. It's HUGE! I got a California coin for a Maine one after the '05 coin event.

WhereRWe?
08-02-2007, 06:23 PM
If you see them at an event, ask if they have their coin collection with them. It's HUGE!

Sheesh! Is that why so many geocoins have disappeared from caches! :eek: :eek:

(Are we talking about "the numbers" again? LOL!

WhereRWe?
08-02-2007, 06:33 PM
I now spend my days scrtutinizing pregnant moms with ultrasound for birth defects.

I had an ultrasound at the Togus VA a couple of years ago. Cool! Probably the hottest technician at Togus running this greasy thing over my stomach looking for "stones". One of my best experiences at the VA! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

team moxiepup
08-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Not 100% sure on this, but it had me puzzled....I saw a newbie log a cache twice but the caches found did not go up by 2. I went into the profile and saw the # found matched the caches they found not the duplicated logged cache. Maybe GC.com has fixed a/the bug in their software.
So you deleted their dog? :( .... oh you said dog's log ;)

Going by that logic... if you are part of a team and all team members are not present...should the team log it as a find? Or if one member finds the cache first and the others don't, can the "team" log it? As a rule we try look together and usually when one finds it they walk away and sit while the other still looks but sometimes... there is that little shout of glee that squeaks out and gives it away so did the other person in the team really find it or was it because the other person "gave it away"?
Now for a tricky one.... there you are signing the log a mosquito comes along lands in the log book the log book gets closed, does the mosquito get credit for siging the log in blood?:D

Beach Comber
08-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I had an ultrasound at the Togus VA a couple of years ago. Cool! Probably the hottest technician at Togus running this greasy thing over my stomach looking for "stones". One of my best experiences at the VA! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course, ultrasound technicians, or sonographers as we like to be called are well known for being "hot" :p

Mainiac1957
08-02-2007, 09:34 PM
You make me laugh. heh heh heh:D :D :D
Of course it is true, and I have the picture to prove it.

Beach Comber
08-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Shhhhhhhhhh :p :eek: :o :rolleyes: ;) :) or everyone will want one - lol

dí76
08-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Shhhhhhhhhh :p :eek: :o :rolleyes: ;) :) or everyone will want one - lol

Uuuuhhhmmm.....

I will take a copy if they are really out there....

Come on Judy, prove it:D

firefighterjake
08-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Yes, they do and they have contacted me to see if there are any events in the works for August as they would like to get together and see people.

That's good . . . their caches were among the first I did. While some didn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling (i.e. the Wendy's cache) some of them were pretty decent -- I particularly liked the cache they had at the Detroit Veteran's Memorial . . . and if the truth be told that Wendy's Cache as my very first LPC and as such it was kind of neat . . . of course the "neat-o" factor wears off after finding a half dozen or more of these.:D

firefighterjake
08-03-2007, 06:57 AM
. . . If the worse thing I find on any given day is a duplicate log on one of my caches, it's a good day. It's all relative.

Something I have espoused for a long time . . . there's a lot of things to get worked up about in this world . . . and geocaching (with duplicate logs, too many micros:D , missing caches, etc.) is not one of those things.

firefighterjake
08-03-2007, 06:57 AM

Geez . . . now I wish I was a veteran so I could have an ultra-sound by a hot US Tech. :D

firefighterjake
08-03-2007, 07:02 AM
. . .
Going by that logic... if you are part of a team and all team members are not present...should the team log it as a find? Or if one member finds the cache first and the others don't, can the "team" log it? As a rule we try look together and usually when one finds it they walk away and sit while the other still looks but sometimes... there is that little shout of glee that squeaks out and gives it away so did the other person in the team really find it or was it because the other person "gave it away"?
Now for a tricky one.... there you are signing the log a mosquito comes along lands in the log book the log book gets closed, does the mosquito get credit for siging the log in blood?:D

I'm not part of a team, but for me personally I wouldn't have any issue with a single team member logging a find . . . but if another team member came back to search for the cache and found it I would have an issue with that team member logging a find as it would be a second find for the team.

When I have geocached with others we have done something similar to your team . . . when one finds the cache they often meander away from the cache and declare that they are "sitting" (something we learned from ATTROLL) which gives others the chance to also search out the cache . . . while the person with the Magellan is able to gloat over the fact that they found the cache first. :D

As for the mosquitoes question . . . I would say that this would be the first and only geocaching.com find and log book entry for that mosquitoe. :D

Beach Comber
08-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Geez . . . now I wish I was a veteran so I could have an ultra-sound by a hot US Tech. :D

Ahhhh, but the beautiful thing is there are hot sonographers (if you want one to be nice to you though, you will need to say sonographer and not tech) outside the VA world as well!! I don't want to take this thread off topic again so I will stop with that - so I guess Dave is out of luck on the picture request too :p

hide_from_the_kids
08-03-2007, 09:23 PM
We have had people do a bug drop as a new "found it" log and just emailed them and explained to them how to write a note . . . all good after that (and actually a thank you in one instance). I haven't seen duplicate entries around here yet, but I might be oblivious.